ROBBERY & MURDER
Looking for details on the law firm? click here
- The Incident: During the robbery of a convenience store in Belle Glade an assailant shot and killed the store’s owner. The entire incident was captured on the store’s surveillance video.
- The Evidence: The Incident was captured on the store’s video. The robber was arrested and confessed to his involvement in the robbery and homicide. The State presented extensive phone call and text messaging records exchanged between the client and the shooter, as well as video surveillance from the morning of the crime showing the client entered and exited the store just minutes before the shooting occurred.
- The Accused: After the crime, my client was accused of going to the assailant’s house, and retaking possession of his gun to destroy it. The gun was never recovered. The assailant’s mother also testified that she saw the assailant give my client the gun.
- The Charges: Accessory after the Fact to First Degree Murder. Initially, my client was charged with helping the assailant hide the gun after the murder. Yet in reality, the State, at trial, alleged that the client provided the gun to the assailant and planned the crime with the assailant.
- My Counsel & Defense: I attacked the credibility of the State’s witnesses and questioned what the evidentiary value of the video, and phone/text records actually were relative to the charges against my client. The evidence simply did not establish that the client had any part in hiding or destroying that firearm, and therefore no part in assisting the shooter to cover up what he did.
- The VERDICT: The jury returned a verdict of NOT GUILTY. When the State and Court refused to DISMISS the charge of being a Felon in Actual Possession of a Firearm, a Writ of Prohibition was filed with the Fourth District Court of Appeals. The Writ was granted, and the State was required to drop the Felon in Possession Charge.
Felon in Possession of firearm
If you, or someone you know, has been charged with murder use the form below to drop me a note. Let me know a bit about yourself, what’s happened, and a good time to contact you.
-Joshua LeRoy, Esq.
Criminal Defense Attorney Joshua LeRoy, Esq. is dedicated to providing his clients with personalized, honest, and aggressive representation in any and all areas of criminal law in West Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, Lake Worth, Delray Beach & the surrounding areas of Palm Beach County in the State of Florida.
Arrested? What happens now?
It’s essential to have a respected attorney working to defend your rights, do not delay.